Recipe by Montana Heart Song
I found the best chicken & spinach sausage and we love bow tie pasta and I came up with this recipe. You can substitute any sausage and use frozen chopped spinach if you like.You can also substitute cream.
Top Review by MelissaO'
I had to make some major changes for nutrition. I couldn't spend 934 calories on this meal! I eliminated the butter and just made sure my sauce was ready when the pasta was... no need to keep it oiled, so to speak. I also had enough moisture in my chicken, roasted red pepper, spinach sausage, that I didn't need it to be oiled... and of course, I left out the oil from the boiling water, too.
Without any cheese, I lowered it to 700 calories and 10 grams fat (and that was 5 links of sausage, diced) over 4 servings.
I took the suggestion to rev up the flavor by adding a couple of tablespoons of Tomato Paste to the sauce.
Thanks for the inspiration.
- 1 (16 ounce) package bow tie pasta
- 4 quarts boiling water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken-spinach sausages, casings removed & diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or 1 cup parmesan cheese or 1 cup romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In stockpot add water and 1 tblsp olive oil.
- When boiling, add pasta.
- In frying pan, add 2 tblsp olive oil, add sausages, chopped onion, garlic italian seasoning, balsamic vinegar. Saute until onion, sausages and garlic start to brown.
- Turn heat to simmer.
- In separate bowl, add tomato soup, basil and half and half. Wisk to mix.
- Cook pasta until ala dente, about 10 -12 minutes. Drain in colandar. Save 1 cup water.
- Add margarine back into stockpot, add saved water, add drained pasta,toss to mix and kept on warm heat.
- Add salt and white pepper.
- Add tomato cream mixture to frying pan and mix, do not boil, low heat until everything is hot.
- Pour over hot pasta. Toss to mix.Pile in a large pasta bowl and serve.
- Pass the preferred cheese as individual topping for each serving.
- Note: The chicken spinach sausage is located in major national chains, this sausage contains asaigo cheese and spices. in it.