Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A delicious vegetarian main dish or side. Italian-inspired. Adapted from Vegetarian Express.
Top Review by Maito
Yummy. Based on another review (and that we don't like too creamy of sauces), I quartered the cream cheese/liquid (I used broth instead of water). Also left out the wheat germ (personal preference). We thought this was a great quick meal, and thought the amount of lemon was just right. Served 3-4 as an entree.
- 10 -12 ounces bow tie pasta
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained (reserve liquid)
- 8 ounces soft low-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pasta according to the package directions; cook until al dente.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking oil spray and heat skillet over high heat.
- Add 1/4 cup water and mushrooms; "sweat" the mushrooms by covering skillet for 2-3 minutes, or until mushrooms are slightly wilted.
- Add in the artichoke hearts; continue to cook, uncovered, for about 3 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone.
- Cut the cream cheese into several pieces; add to the skillet with 1 cup water or the reserved liquid from the canned artichokes plus enough water to make 1 cup.
- Using a wooden spoon, gently stir and smooth the sauce while if comes to a simmer.
- Add in the lemon juice and pepper; add more water if needed to bring sauce to a medium consistency; also may add salt to taste.
- Drain pasta when it is done.
- Add pasta and sauce to a serving bowl; mix well.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, wheat germ, and parsley.
- Serve right away.