Recipe by Deb's Recipes
Chicken breast pieces and your favorite veggies may be added. But made Vegetarian using just minimal ingredients of pasta, broccoli slaw, carrots, and scallions, this easy salad is incredibly tasty. The dressing is to die for!!
Top Review by Susie D
This was a colorful salad with a peanutty Thai taste. For us the sesame oil overpowered everything, but I may be more the fault of the new brand of oil I recently purchased. After chilling, the sesame oil flavor was the only thing that really carried through. One could add more veggies and even nuts if wanted. I liked the detailed directions on this recipe & appreciated the tip on blanching the veggies. I served this with baked pork chops. Thank you for your entry & good luck!
- 1⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced gingerroot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaf
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 12 ounces farfalle pasta (bow ties)
- 1 (12 ounce) package broccoli slaw mix
- 9 baby carrots, julienned (to matchstick size)
- 6 thinly sliced scallions
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the dressing by blending the first ten ingredients in a food processor or blender until emulsified. Stir in cilantro and red pepper. Taste and add salt if desired. Make in advance, if possible, and store in refrigerator to blend flavors. The dressing will thicken once chilled, but will still coat the salad easily and evenly when tossed.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. While it's still boiling and about one minute away from being done, add broccoli slaw and matchstick carrots (along with any other veggies to be blanched such as snow peas or small broccoli florets) to the cooking pot. Bring back to a boil for no more than one minute in order to blanch the veggies and finish cooking the pasta, then drain and rinse both under cold water. This process enhances color and flavor while keeping the veggies crisp-tender.
- Combine the drained pasta-veggie mixture with scallions (and any other raw veggies you choose such as thinly sliced red pepper, cucumber, or bean sprouts) and toss everything with the delicious Thai-style dressing. Serve immediately or chill.