Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A Lebanese Orange Custard with Caramel, which I'm posting for the 2005 Zaar World Tour, adapted from a recipe in from the Bay Books' publication: 'The Best of Lebanese and Middle Eastern Cooking'. This dessert can be eaten warm or chilled.
- Beat the eggs and sugar lightly in the top of a double boiler, add the salt and heated milk, while stirring continuously.
- Place the pan over hot water and stir until the custard thickens.
- Remove the pan from the heat and place it over cold water to cool the custard.
- Flavour the custard with vanilla.
- Arrange the orange slices in a shallow glass dish and when the custard is cold pour it over the orange slices.
- In a heavy-based pan, heat the sugar until it has melted but not browned and then slowly add the hot water and orange zest; stir and cook for 1 minute, then pour over the top of the custard.