Recipe by evelyn/athens
A classic French fish soup. Do not forget the garlic bread!!! The amount of fish called for is raw weight.
Top Review by mianbao
We had this for dinner tonight and are feeling stuffed but very happy. I used Mean Chef's recipe for the stock, and cod, scallops, one fillet of mystery fish and two smallish squids in the soup itself. One thing that it would be nice to have clarified is whether the amounts of fish are before or after cleaning. I think I overestimated the amount of fish, even though I was trying to make only half a recipe. We won't have any trouble finishing it up, though, it's delicious. Thank you for the recipe, Evelyn.
- 3 lbs mixed fish
- 3 lbs squid
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 potatoes, sliced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 liters fish stock
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ounce cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean fish and squid and cut into serving pieces.
- Arrange onion, garlic, tomatoes and potatoes in a large saucepan.
- Top with fish and enough stock to cover.
- Sprinkle turmeric over.
- Add oil and season to taste.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove fish and vegetables to a deep serving dish.
- Beat egg yolks and cream and slowly add hot soup in a thin stream, whisking constantly.
- Return to saucepan and heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Pour over fish and serve with garlic bread.