Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 min
This is a recipe from my mothers kitchen that we always made as kids. I started making it for my family and now I am lucky if it lasts till the next day. The recipe uses bournvita which can be substituted with ovaltine as they are very similar.
- 8 ounces flour
- 2 ounces bournvita malted chocolate drink mix
- 2 ounces sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 ounces raisins or 4 ounces chopped sultanas
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 150 ml milk
- Mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Warn the golden syrup and add to dry ingredients.
- Mix to a dropping consistency with the milk.
- Pour into prepared loaf tin and bake at 175 C for about one hour.