Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 lb topside mince
- 1 onion (grated)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (diluted with water)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs (beat in a cup)
- 2 tablespoons marsala wine
- 1 cup grated feta cheese
- 1 phyllo pastry
- unsalted butter (for buttering phyllo pastry)
- In a saucepan add oil and saute onion. Add mince and brown add tomato paste with about 2 cups water, marsala spices,cook on medium heat until mince is cooked and not much sauce remaining in pan.
- Remove from stove, add grated feta cheese, beaten eggs stir; put aside.
- Remove phyllo pastry from packet (there are about 22-24 sheets) cut down lengthwise.
- Keep covered with a moist tea towel as they dry out quickly if uncovered.
- Take one cut sheet brush with melted butter, fold lengthwise again now you have a long strip doubled.
- At bottom place a spoonful of mixture.
- Pick phyllo from bottom and fold upwards about 3cm enclosing the meat mixture press sides, then start folding to make a triangle making sure the corners are not sticking outside the fold.
- You go right, right, bring that point to the left side and left again and so on until you reach the top.
- Brush top of triangle with melted butter and place on baking greased baking tray, when tray is full bake in oven at 200°C until golden brown.
- These triangles can be frozen uncooked.
- When cooking from frozen stage don't defrost first.
- Have a hot over and bake on 200°C.
- Sometimes you may have to flip them over in the oven.