Recipe by cobb420
"This is a barbecue sauce recipe using Kentucky bourbon whiskey. For best results, refrigerate for a day or two, allowing the flavors to blend."
Top Review by Lisa At The Lake
My sister originally found this same recipe on www.allrecipes.com. This is hands down the best barbeque sauce that I have found anywhere on the internet or bottled from the grocery store. Everyone that has tried this raves about how fantastic it is. The sauce is not too sweet at all with just a perfect balance of flavors. I do not strain the onion or garlic and leave it in for extra flavor.
- 1⁄2 onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic, and whiskey.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Mix in the ground black pepper, salt, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Run sauce through a strainer if you prefer a smooth sauce.