Recipe by ShoeDiva
I love my Bourbon Drunken Upside-Down Turkey, but it is a tad bit time consuming. Since Fibromyalgia is an ongoing battle for me, I wanted to make life a little easier and come up with a brine recipe due to a reviewers comment.
- 1 oven cooking bag, and 1 flavor injector
- 1 (13 -14 lb) whole turkey (Shady Brook Farms)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup peppercorn
- 7 cups cold water
- 1 cup ice
- 1 1⁄2 cups Bourbon (Jim Beam or Makers Mark)
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 bunch fresh sage (or Greenways Fresh Organic Poultry Blend Herbs)
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bunch fresh marjoram
- 2 heads garlic, halved
- 2 blood oranges, quartered or 2 navel oranges, rind taken off and quartered
- 2 Red Delicious apples, pitted, and quartered
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- 8 cups Bourbon (Jim Beam or Makers Mark)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add sugar & salt to 1.5 cup of bourbon take HALF of the herbs,1 apple, 1 orange and orange rind, peppercorns,1 garlic head, and 1 onion in saucepan bring to a low boil dissolving the sugar & salt. Remove from heat.
- Take a potato masher and gently press down the ingredients in the saucepan so all the flavors can release into the bourbon. Add 1 cup of ice to cool down.
- Line large bucket or pot with brining bag add the OTHER HALF of the herbs, fruit, peppercorns, orange rind, garlic & onion.
- Place turkey in bag, add 1 cup of bourbon to the inside cavity of turkey, 7 cups of cold water, then add bourbon & ice mixture finish with 8 more cups of bourbon.
- Stir & submerge turkey in bourbon brine make sure no air is in brining bag. Take the flavor injector, and inject the turkey in several different areas with the brining solution.
- Refrigerate & rotate every 12 hours.
- Brine for 48 hours, bring to room temperature for 45 minutes. Pat dry and cook. (SEE BOURBON DRUNKEN UPSIDE-DOWN TURKEY RECIPE).