1/2 Photos of Bourbon Turkey Brine
I love my Bourbon Drunken Upside-Down Turkey, but it is a tad bit time consuming. Since Fibromyalgia is an ongoing battle for me, I wanted to make life a little easier and come up with a brine recipe due to a reviewers comment.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 oven cooking bag, and 1 flavor injector
- 1 (13 -14 lb) whole turkey (Shady Brook Farms)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup peppercorn
- 7 cups cold water
- 1 cup ice
- 1 1/2 cups Bourbon (Jim Beam or Makers Mark)
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 bunch fresh sage (or Greenways Fresh Organic Poultry Blend Herbs)
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bunch fresh marjoram
- 2 heads garlic, halved
- 2 blood oranges, quartered or 2 navel oranges, rind taken off and quartered
- 2 Red Delicious apples, pitted, and quartered
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- 8 cups Bourbon (Jim Beam or Makers Mark)
- 1Add sugar & salt to 1.5 cup of bourbon take HALF of the herbs,1 apple, 1 orange and orange rind, peppercorns,1 garlic head, and 1 onion in saucepan bring to a low boil dissolving the sugar & salt. Remove from heat.
- 2Take a potato masher and gently press down the ingredients in the saucepan so all the flavors can release into the bourbon. Add 1 cup of ice to cool down.
- 3Line large bucket or pot with brining bag add the OTHER HALF of the herbs, fruit, peppercorns, orange rind, garlic & onion.
- 4Place turkey in bag, add 1 cup of bourbon to the inside cavity of turkey, 7 cups of cold water, then add bourbon & ice mixture finish with 8 more cups of bourbon.
- 5Stir & submerge turkey in bourbon brine make sure no air is in brining bag. Take the flavor injector, and inject the turkey in several different areas with the brining solution.
- 6Refrigerate & rotate every 12 hours.
- 7Brine for 48 hours, bring to room temperature for 45 minutes. Pat dry and cook. (SEE BOURBON DRUNKEN UPSIDE-DOWN TURKEY RECIPE).
Browse Our Top Thanksgiving Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bourbon Turkey Brine
Serving Size: 1 (1632 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3605.3
- Calories from Fat 787
- Total Fat 87.4 g
- Saturated Fat 24.6 g
- Cholesterol 733.7 mg
- Sodium 21965.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 55.9 g
- Protein 225.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: