Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This recipe came from the Oprah show and it just sounded delicious!!
- 16 lbs kosher turkey
- 1⁄4 cup herbes de provence
- 2 yards cheesecloth
- 2 -3 cups Bourbon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 24 hours in Advance: Soak 1 yard of cheesecloth in bourbon ring out lightly and stuff into turkey cavity.
- Rub Herbs de Provence under the turkey skin.
- With a kitchen needle and thread tack the skin back on the breast securely with a few stitches.
- Wrap the turkey with the remaining cheesecloth and soak the cloth with the remaining bourbon.
- Marinate in fridge for 24 hours, turning the turkey over 4-6 times.
- Next day: Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Remove cheesecloth from the outside of the turkey and stuff it into the cavity with the other cheesecloth.
- Rub turkey with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Bake 275 degrees f for 5 hours basting frequently.
This was absolutely the moistest turkey I've ever prepared. We don't like dark meat so I used a 7-1/2 pound turkey bone-in breast. It fit nicely in a 2-gallon plastic resealable bag to marinate. I'm passing this recipe on to all of my friends and family!
This was the best turkey ever. It was moist and flavorful. Thanks for the recipe.
This is EXCELLENT!! I thought I lost my recipe, (I made it in '92)--thanks to Recipezaar I have it again!! I will be making this again this year at Thanksgiving!!!