Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe which a local restaurant requested from my mother years ago and they serve on their menu. TRUE, Louisiana styled sweet 'taters!
- 3 (17 ounce) cans sweet potatoes, cut into small chunks
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain most of the liquid off of the sweet potatoes.
- Mix sweet potatoes, brown sugar and salt by hand in a large bowl.
- Add orange juice, orange rind, four and bourbon to the sweet potato mixture.
- Pour into lightly greased 9 x 13 pan and dot butter on top.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes in preheated 375 degree oven or until juice has been absorbed and the liquid has been absorbed.
Gee I thought we would like this but we did not. I used fresh sweet potatoes and Jack Daniels Bourbon thinking that would only make it better but maybe that was the reason. It was too sweet and the flavor of the sweet potatoes really did not come through.
Excellent! Really liked the orange flavor. Had this for Thanksgiving 2006. While I will continue to cook my SP's baked, this is a perfect recipe for a special event such as Thanksgiving. Thanks!
Sweet potatoes just could not get any better! I made this recipe using 5 medium fresh sweet potatoes not the canned, and baked them in a large casserole dish, I baked mine in an air convection-roast oven, mine took only just under 30 minutes, I LOVE this recipe and look forward to making it again (as soon as DH stocks up on bourbon for the holidays lol!) thanks so much for sharing hon!...Kitten:)