Recipe by Judikins
Wow, just recently I learned about bacon jam. It is one of the most incredible things I've feasted upon in a very long time. Some of us went to a new local mini-brewery where they served bacon jam and I fell in love! I've tried a few now and this one is by far my favorite from Evil Shenanigans. Served on burgers, a panini, or just plain toast, it's over the top!
- 1 lb thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry dried chipotle powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup good quality Bourbon
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon pieces until they begin to crisp at the edges buy are still soft in the center. Set aside to drain. Leave one tablespoon of the drippings in the pan.
- Lower heat to med-low and add the onions and brown sugar. Cook until the onions are well caramelized (~20 min.). Add the garlic and spices and cook an additional five minutes.
- Add the liquid ingredients and the bacon back to the pan. Increase the heat to medium bringing the mixture to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer for about two hours. Check the mixture every 30 minutes. If it becomes too dry, add a few tablespoons of water. You want the final mixture to be moist and very sticky.
- Let the mixture cool slightly then put it into the bowl of a food processor and pulse about 20 times, or until it reaches your preferred consistency.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.