1/5 Photos of Bourbon Street Steak
24 hrs 20 mins
Save yourself 30 bucks from Applebee's. There's another similar recipe posted, but does not include the garlic butter or the mushroom and onion side. A message from Todd Wilbur: Menu Description: "This succulent 10 oz. Steak is jazzed up with Cajun spices and served with sauteed onions, mushrooms, garlic mashed potatoes and garlic toast." This secret to the taste of this signature steak entrée at America's largest casual chain is found in the blend of flavors in the spicy Cajun marinade. Plan to make this dish 12 to 24 hours in advance, so the steaks have time to soak up the goodness. This marinating time will also give the meat tenderizer a chance to do its thing, but don't go longer than 24 hours or the protein fibers may become so tender that they turn mushy. I used McCormick brand tenderizer, which uses bromelian, a pineapple extract, to tenderize the meat. Lawry's (Adolph's) meat tenderizer, uses papain from papayas, to tenderize the proteins, but this brand also brings other spices into the mix and will alter the flavor of your finished product. Both of these tenderizers include a lot of salt so we won't need to include salt as part of the marinade formula." One more thing, Bourbon Street is a name of a street in New Orleans, LA. There is no indication that Applebee's ever included Bourbon in the original recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (10 ounce) top sirloin steaks
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons meat tenderizer (McCormick is good)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, ground
- 2 cups water
On The Side
- 1Combine all marinade ingredients in a medium bowl.
- 2Pound steaks with a kitchen mallet until about 3/4-inch thick.
- 3Submerge steaks in marinade, cover and store in the refrigerator. This is effectively done in a sealable plastic bag. Marinade 12 to 24 hours.
- 4When your steaks have completed marinating, preheat a barbecue grill to medium/high heat. Blot steaks with paper towels to remove excess marinade. Grill the steaks for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until cooked as desired.
- 5For the garlic butter: Melt 3 tablespoons butter and combine it with 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder and a pinch of salt; set aside.
- 6For the side: Combine 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium/low heat. When the butter is melted add the sliced onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until onion begins to soften. Add sliced mushrooms, salt and black pepper to pan and saute for another 2 to 3 minute or until onions and mushrooms begin to lightly brown.
- 7When the steaks are done, spoon a couple teaspoons of garlic butter over the top of each steak and serve with mushrooms and onions on the side.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bourbon Street Steak
Serving Size: 1 (839 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.7
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 1707.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: