Recipe by Sharon the Rocket
Great for Mardi Gras entertaining - got it from 2/18/06 Post Dispatch
Top Review by ramsey_penegar
This was easy, filling, and tasted good. I omitted the bacon (counting fat and calories!) I did not put the rice into the mix, just served the dish on top of rice. I had veg broth so I used it instead of chix broth. Omitted the salt, but used some herbs and spices in its place. Used cooked dry beans instead of cannd.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook diced bacon in a 3-qt saucepan over medium-high heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, remove bacon to plate.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add broth, Tabasco sauce and salt. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add red and yellow bell peppers, red beans and bacon. Cover; cook 5 minutes longer or until rice is tender.
- Stir in green onions and serve.