Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is a variation from an episode of Throwdown With Bobby Flay.
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 ounces Bourbon
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili, finely chopped (or chipotle peppers)
- 8 ounces chili sauce
- 8 ounces barbecue sauce (Jack Daniels)
- 3 ounces hot sauce
For the wings
- oil, for frying
- 50 chicken wings
- blue cheese dressing, for serving
- Bourbon, for serving
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the shallot and garlic cloves and saute, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the bourbon, brown sugar and the honey to heat through, 1 minute. Next add the ancho pepper, chili sauce, barbeque sauce, dry mustard and hot sauce and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- For the chicken wings:.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer.
- As you make the sauce, drop chicken wings, in batches (the amount you drop in at 1 time will depend on the size of your fryer) into the deep-fryer. Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the wings from the oil and drain.
- Add the wings to a large mixing bowl and toss in the sauce, coating each wing.
- Serve blue cheese dressing and 1/2 shots of bourbon, on the side, for adults to sip.