Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mom loves Polish sausage dogs, usually plain or with mustard. I like them like this. I either pre-fry them and make this sauce and then add them, or just toss it all together and simmer. Make sure you get some good soft buns that will hold those big ole dogs. They're a bit bigger than a regular hot dog.
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2⁄3 cup ketchup (I prefer Heinz)
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 (16 ounce) package Polish sausage, dogs
- onion (sliced or diced)
- hot dog bun
- Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large skillet over low heat;
- add sausage.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve on buns with onions or relish, if desired.
We love Sausage Dogs in my house. This is a yummy recipe for something different. Love, love, love the sauce. I like to grill my sausage before adding them to the sauce. The only thing I did differently, was to add about a teaspoon of hot pepper flakes for a little bite. These will be made often in my home. Thanks so much for the awesome recipe.