1 hr 30 mins
This is my very favorite pumpkin (or sweet potato) pie formula. I got it from a very old issue of Gourmet magazine, and tweaked it a bit, substituting bourbon for brandy, adding fresh ginger, upping the spices a bit. My family insists on having this every Thanksgiving. The bourbon is very subtle - you won't notice it's there, but you'll know there's something special about this pie...
My Private Note
ten inc ...
Units: US | Metric
Dough for 2 pie crusts
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with water below
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 cups canned solid-pack pumpkin (substitute equal amount of baked, mashed sweet potato for the pumpkin for sweet potato pie) or 2 cups fresh cooked pumpkin (substitute equal amount of baked, mashed sweet potato for the pumpkin for sweet potato pie)
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- whipped cream
- 1Roll out 3/4 of the dough 1/8 of an inch thick on a lightly floured surface; fit it into a 10-inch (6 cup) pie plate, and trim the edge, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang.
- 2Fold the overhang under the dough flush with the edge of the pie plate and with a sharp knife, make 1/2-inch-long cuts at 3/4-inch intervals all the way around the edge of the shell.
- 3Turn every other section of the dough in toward the center of the shell to form a decorative edge and chill the shell for 30 minutes.
- 4Roll out the remaining dough 1/8-inch thick on a lightly floured surface and with a 3-inch leaf-shaped cutter, cut out 3 leaves.
- 5Transfer the pastry leaves to a baking sheet, score them lightly with the back of a knife to form veins, and chill them for 15 minutes, or until they are firm.
- 6Brush the leaves lightly with some of the egg wash and bake them in the middle of a preheated 375°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until they are golden.
- 7Transfer the leaves to a rack and let them cool completely.
- 8In a bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, the brown sugar, the spices, the salt, the heavy cream, the milk, the eggs, and the bourbon until the filling is smooth and pour the filling into the shell.
- 9Brush the edge of the shell lightly with some of the remaining egg wash if desired and bake the pie in the middle of a preheated 375°F oven for 1 hour, or until the filling is set but the center still shakes slightly.
- 10The filling will continue to set as the pie cools.
- 11Transfer the pie to a rack and let it cool completely.
- 12Garnish with the pastry leaves just before serving, and serve with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bourbon Pumpkin Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2024.0
- Calories from Fat 985
- Total Fat 109.4 g
- Saturated Fat 63.3 g
- Cholesterol 975.1 mg
- Sodium 2707.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 203.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.9 g
- Sugars 167.2 g
- Protein 31.1 g