Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
YUM. Bourbon in a cake. Got this from my mom--it would be great for holidays like Christmas and New Years!
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk (whole milk for best results)
- 1⁄3 cup Bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Fold in half the flour, then fold in the milk, then the remaining flour, followed by the bourbon and vanilla.
- Pour the batter into two lightly greased and floured 9-inch loaf pans and run the blade of a knife through the batter in an X pattern from corner to corner of the pans to eliminate air bubbles.
- Place the pans in the center of a cool oven, leaving a space between them.
- Turn the oven to 325F and bake for about 1 hour, until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Turn off the oven and let the cakes cool in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Open the oven door and cool for 30 minutes.
- Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
This was a very good cake. However, I think adding 1/2 the sugar as brown sugar would really rich up this cake! I am going to bake again with brown sugar and pecans!
Made this for a lighter dessert on xmas -- well, lighter on the chef's workload at least. Very moist. Tasted great for breakie the rest of the week too. Will make again.