Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Enjoy these during the holidays or anytime at all. These nuts could easily be put into airtight jars and given as gifts.
- 1⁄2 cup top-quality Bourbon
- 1 lb pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Angostura bitters
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Simmer the bourbon in a small saucepan over medium heat until reduced by a quarter, just a few minutes. Blanch the pecans in boiling water for 1 minute ( blanching the pecans in boiling water is an old Chinese trick that makes them especially crisp), then drain.
- Combine the bourbon, oil, Worcestershire sauce, bitters, and sugar in a large bowl. Add the HOT pecans and toss. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Spread the pecans in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake until the nuts are crisp and the liquid has evaporated, 30 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Turn the nuts into a clean bowl.
- Combine the cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Toss with the nuts and serve.