Recipe by stephanierndos
Got this recipe from Rachel Rays' show, '30 minute meals' - (Food Network). We tried this last Thanksgiving and were hooked! We did lessen the amount of Bourbon in it though, it was overpowering the full amount, which we cut in half.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, a couple of handfuls
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ounce Bourbon, use a good brand
- 1⁄2 cup light orange juice
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- Add sweet potatoes and cook 12 to 15 minutes until very tender.
- Drain sweet potatoes in a colander. Return pan to medium heat.
- Add butter to the pan. When butter melts, add nuts and toast for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar and let it bubble.
- Add bourbon and cook out alcohol, about 1 minute.
- Add orange juice and the cooked sweet potatoes. Smash with a masher and season the sweet potatoes with nutmeg, salt and pepper.