Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is another one of Rachael Ray's recipes. I wanted to do something different with sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving and this fit right in with my "orange" theme.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 ounces Bourbon
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add sweet potatoes and cook 12 to 15 minutes until tender. Drain in a colander.
- Return pan to medium heat. Add butter to pan.
- When butter melts, add nuts and toast for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar and let it bubble.
- Add bourbon and cook out alcohol, 1 minute.
- Add orange juice and the cooked sweet potatoes.
- Smash with a masher and season the sweet potatoes with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
This is fantastic. We've made it for every holiday for the last 3 years and there are rarely any leftovers.