Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups pecan halves, lightly toasted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 -2 tablespoon Bourbon
- Melt butter over low heat in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Stir in the sugars, pinch of salt, and cream.
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove the lid and boil rapidly until temperature reaches 242 degrees on thermometer.
- (this is the upper limit of the soft ball stage in cooking sugar; a drop of syrup in chilled water will hold its shape well.) At this point, add the toasted pecans and stir well.
- Remove from heat and beat in flavorings.
- Continue beating until the candy loses its glossiness, becomes creamy in appearance, and starts to thicken.
- Quickly drop the mixture by tablespoons onto wax paper.