Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 4 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup best kentucky Bourbon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped pecans (tossed with 1 tablespoon flour)
- powdered sugar, for finishing
- Butter and flour a 12-cup tube pan or Bundt pan.
- Position oven rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 325°.
- Add flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, then add in the butter.
- Beat on the lowest speed for about 2 minutes, until the ingredients are well combined.
- Combine the remaining batter ingredients, except the pecans in a bowl; mix well.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and add 1/3 of the liquid ingredients; mix for 2 minutes, then stop and scrape down the bowl and beater.
- Add another third of the liquid, beat for 2 minutes, then scrape again.
- Finally, add the remaining liquid and beat and scrape as before.
- Use a large rubber spatula to give the batter a final stir; fold in the floured pecans, thend scrape the batter into the prepared pan; smooth the top.
- Bake for 65-75 minutes, or until a pick comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto the rack to finish cooling.
- Just before serving, dust the cake generously with powdered sugar.
- *Almond Rum Pound Cake—substitute chopped blanched whole almonds for the pecans and white rum for the bourbon; add 1 teaspoon almond extract along with the vanilla extract.
- *Hazelnut Dark Rum Pound Cake—substitute coarsely ground unblanched hazelnuts for the pecans and dark rum for the bourbon.