Recipe by Boo Chef in West Texas
posted for ZWT 5
Top Review by FolkDiva
Bourbon and pecans.....how can you go wrong?!?! Very tasty chicken, indeed! Roasted nicely, turning a beautiful, rich golden brown. Very tender and the bourbon/pecan flavor was subtle and pleasing. Made for ZWT5 and served with recipe #372773 . Thank you for posting!
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 lb )
- 1⁄2 fresh lemon
- fresh ground black pepper
- handful dry tarragon
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 3 garlic cloves, to taste ((or more)
- 2 small onions (peeled, (or more)
- paprika (for sprinkling )
- 1⁄2 cup broken pecan pieces
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
Directions See How It's Made
- For chicken: Preheat oven to 400°F
- Wash inside cavity and outside of chicken and pat dry. Rub cavity with cut side of half a lemon and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fill cavity with tarragon, rosemary, garlic cloves and onions. Truss and tie chicken.
- Pull up skin, press pecan bits into chicken breast and pull skin back into place. Make sure not to break skin.
- Pour 1/4 cup of bourbon over chicken and place it on its side in oven.
- Roast for 20 minutes, turn to other side, add remaining bourbon, baste and roast another 20 minutes.
- Turn again, baste and roast for another 20 minutes Check to see if it is done.
- If not, cook to your liking, continue cooking but do not overcook.