Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This easy and beautiful, glistening brown chicken is great for Sunday's supper or for a really fancy dinner party. Originally on lando'lakes.com but it has been tweaked a bit since. Wonderful with a side of rice, green vegetables and garlic cheese biscuits and of course some nice wine.
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) whole broiler-fryer chickens
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup peach-apricot preserves or 1⁄2 cup sugar-free peach-apricot fruit spread or 1⁄2 cup sugar-free apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon or 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- red pepper flakes, for heat (optional)
- fresh parsley leaves, garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse chicken all over in lime & orange juice.
- Pat chicken dry.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan.
- Combine all glaze ingredients in 1-quart saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until butter is melted.
- Reserve 1/4 cup.
- Spoon remaining glaze over chicken.
- Bake, basting occasionally, for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until chicken is golden brown.
- (If necessary, add water to basting juices to prevent burning).
- Loosely cover chicken with aluminum foil.
- Continue baking, basting occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Skim fat from pan juices.
- Combine pan juices with reserved glaze in 1 quart saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with chicken.
- Garnish with parsley leaves, if desired.