Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Plan ahead the sauce needs to be made 1 day ahead and chilled...I strongly suggest to double this recipe, or at least double up on the sauce, it's really good!
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- black pepper
BOURBON MOLASSES SAUCE
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dryed chili flakes (optional or to taste)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup jack daniel's Bourbon
Directions See How It's Made
- For the sauce; melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat; add in the onion and dryed chili flakes (if using) saute for about 5 minutes (adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes).
- Add in the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, black pepper and chili powder; mix to combine and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add in the bourbon and cook until heated through for about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Cool and chill the sauce overnight.
- Prepare the grill to medium heat.
- Season the drumsticks with seasoning salt and pepper.
- Transfer about 1/2 cup BBQ sauce to a small bowl and reserve for basting.
- Grill the drumsticks turning to cook on all sides (about 25 minutes).
- Brush with BBQ glaze the last 3-4 minutes of cooking.
- Transfer the drumsticks to a platter and serve with remaining sauce.