1/1 Photo of Bourbon-Marinated Buffalo Chicken Strips With Maytag Blue Dip
24 hrs 45 mins
"Instead of the traditional and now rather expensive chicken wings, I use boneless, skinless chicken thighs in my version of this popular snack. It's best to use natural, high quality chicken. The Maytag dip can be made up to 4 days ahead of time, but definitely start this dish at least a day ahead of time to let the chicken marinate. Serves 4 as a main dish, 8-12 as an appetizer." I believe this recipe was given to my by a member of Cook's Talk, but I can't remember whom. It took me three weeks to find my precious paper copy, so I've transcribed it here for safekeeping. It's good stuff.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the chicken
For the dip
- 1/4 lb maytag blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup Crystal hot sauce (or another brand of cayenne hot sauce such as Frank's or Durkee, but not a fiery sauce like Tabasco)
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/3 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 1/4 cup water
For finishing the dish
- vegetable oil, about 1 quart (for frying)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 coloured bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch wide strips (orange, red or yellow)
- 1 seedless cucumber, unpeeled, cut into spears
- 1 celery heart, washed and drained, cut into sticks
- 1Marinate the chicken: In a large bowl, combine the bourbon, soy sauce and lemon juice.
- 2Trim and discard any visible fat on the chicken thighs.
- 3Cut each lengthwise into 5-6 strips.
- 4Toss the strips in the bourbon mixture; cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- 5Make the dip: Blend half the cheese with the mayonnaise in a food processor until smooth.
- 6Add the sour cream and vinegar, and process until the mixture has the consistency of a creamy mayonnaise.
- 7Add the scallions, parsley and dill and process again briefly.
- 8Add the remaining cheese and process very briefly (the dip should be slightly chunky), remove from the food processor, and season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- 9Wrap well and refrigerate up to four days.
- 10Make the sauce: In a small saucepan, whisk together all of the ingredients.
- 11Heat while whisking constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.
- 12The sauce should be smooth and slightly thickened.
- 13Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- 14Finish the dish: Heat the oven to 250 degrees.
- 15Pour enough oil into a wok or deep, heavy pot to reach about 2 inches.
- 16Heat the oil to 365 degrees or until the oil shimmers.
- 17Meanwhile, drain the chicken well and pat it dry on paper towel.
- 18s Season with the pepper, then dredge each piece in flour, shaking off any excess.
- 19Carefully fry the chicken in batches until golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- 20Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels while frying the remaining chicken.
- 21When all the chicken is cooked, place it in a large bowl, pour the sauce overtop, then toss to coat.
- 22Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and heat in the oven for about 5 minutes so the sauce is absorbed.
- 23Serve immediately with the dip and vegetables.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bourbon-Marinated Buffalo Chicken Strips With Maytag Blue Dip
Serving Size: 1 (624 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1056.0
- Calories from Fat 383
- Total Fat 42.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 254.6 mg
- Sodium 2689.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 64.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: