Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
If you have ever visited New Orleans and been served french toast.. this is it..They are sinfully good.. For those who chose the non bourbon recipe you can use rum extract in water for the bourbon.. Honestly try it with it first.. I have made this with Windsor, Jameson and Jim Beam. I prefer the Windsor version better as it is sweeter then the others and doesn't have a big bite to it. Even though it is a Canadian whiskey instead of a good rye. That is my preference though.
- mix eggs, sugar, salt and bourbon, saving 1/2 cup of bourbon.
- Cut bread into half inch slices and dip into mixture.
- Place into frying pan coated with oil. Or griddle at 350 degrees.
- Fry until crisp and brown, repeating on the opposite side until done.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- Add 1/2 cup of bourbon to maple syrup and serve warm.