1/2 Photos of Bourbon Drunken Upside-Down Turkey
A GREAT Thanksgiving Day recipe for COOKING & MARINADING A TURKEY UPSIDE-DOWN, it has pleanty of flavor...and is SUPER MOIST!!!!...YES MOIST....this is good for those people who aren't a fan of Turkey because it's either "BLAND" or "TOO DRY"......IF YOU HAVE A FLAVOR INJECTOR OR SYRINGE THIS COMES OUT EVEN BETTER!!!!......**24-36 HOUR MARINADE TIME SUGGESTED!!!!**
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 -25 lbs whole turkey (Fresh Turkey, Shady Brook Farms)
- 5/8 ounce herbes de provence
- 1 1/2 liters Maker's Mark Bourbon Whisky or 1 1/2 liters Bourbon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 3/4 cup melted lightly-salted butter
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 bunch fresh marjoram
- 10 -15 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 10 -15 fresh thyme sprigs
- 20 fresh sage leaves
- 2 navel oranges or 2 blood oranges
- 1 large white onion
- 1/2 cup unmelted salted butter
- saran plastic wrap or plastic wrap
- 1MARINADE PREP.
- 2In a bowl put Cheese Cloth (you will need about 3-5 packages -- depending on the size of your Turkey) and 3-4 cups of MAKERS MARK, let Cheese Cloth soak up Bourbon.
- 3Clean inside cavity of Turkey -- then Salt & Pepper inside cavity, and add 1 tablespoon of Herbs De Provence, sprinkle inside cavity.
- 4Carefully seperate the skin from the Turkey Breast -- take 1 Tablespoon of Herbs De Provence and put under skin of the breast -- be sure to massage the herbs under the skin so they can spread evenly under the skin -- if your having a hard time moving the herbs around -- just take a tablespoon of Makers Mark and put it under the skin it should help the herbs spread.
- 5Take 2 of the BOURBON SOAKED CHEESE CLOTH and stuff the inside of the Turkey -- don't pack it -- just lightly put it in place.
- 6*NOTE: If you DON'T HAVE A FLAVOR INJECTOR -- SKIP THIS STEP* -- With a flavor injector, inject the following spots with a full syringe of BOURBON -- FLIP TURKEY UPSIDE DOWN (DO NOT INJECT TURKEY BREAST SIDE UP!) -- INJECT BOURBON IN BOTH LEGS -- and UNDERNEATH THE BREAST (try to get the needle where the bone of the breast is) -- and INJECT BOTH WINGS.
- 7Wrap outside of Turkey with the remaining BOURBON SOAKED CHEESE CLOTH -- then WRAP the TURKEY & CHEESE CLOTH IN SARAN/PLASTIC WRAP and put in REFIDGERATOR AND MARINADE UPSIDEDOWN -- FLIPPING AND ROTATING THE TURKEY EVERY 6-8 hours -- NOTE: If you would like to inject the same spots every other time you rotate it will enhance the flavors more, but it may require an extra bottle of bourbon.
- 824-36 HOURS MARINADE TIME.
- 9COOKING PREP.
- 10Remove plastic wrap & cheese cloth -- also the cheese cloth inside the cavity -- take ALL the cheese cloth and RESOAK IN BOURBON.
- 11Melt 1/2 cup butter -- INJECT MELTED BUTTER IN SAME EXACT AREAS WHERE THE BOURBON WAS INJECTED -- *hint* -- TURKEY NEEDS TO BE UPSIDEDOWN.
- 12Rub Olive Oil all over Turkey -- SALT & PEPPER THE ENITRE OUTSIDE TURKEY, AND THEN LIGHTLY SPRINKLE HERBS DE PROVENCE ALL OVER TURKEY AS WELL.
- 13Gather Garlic Cloves, Onion, Thyme, Marjoram, Rosemary, Oranges, Parsley and Sage -- Cut the Garlic Cloves & Onion in half, leaving the skin on -- drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Cut Oranges into fouths.
- 14WRAP EVERYTHING (Garlic Cloves, Onion, Thyme, Marjoram, Rosemary, Oranges, Parsley and Sage) IN THE BOURBON SOAKED CHEESE CLOTH AND STUFF INTO TURKEY.
- 15Add entire stick of butter to bottom of roasting pan.
- 16OKAY NOW COOK THE TURKEY UPSIDEDOWN -- TRUST ME I'VE MADE THE MISTAKE OF COOKING THE TURKEY BREAST SIDE UP AND ITS ALWAYS DRY.-- TENT THE ENTIRE TURKEY IN THE OVEN WITH ALUMINUM FOIL UP UNTIL THE FINAL 2 1/2 HOURS OF COOKING -- 2 1/2 hours before its done take the tent off and FLIP the TURKEY BREAST SIDE UP (the best way to do this is having 2 people maybe more depending on the size and 2 of the same size pans and place one on top of the other and flip) -- NOTE: TO GET A CRISP GOLDEN BREAST TURN UP THE OVEN AN EXTRA 125 DEGREES FOR 25-35 MINUTES.
- 17KEEP BASTING IN NATURAL JUICES EVERY 30 MINUTES -- BASTE, BASTE, BASTE -- BASTING IS KEY!
- 18This will be so flavorfull and juicy, your dinner guests will BE AMAZED.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bourbon Drunken Upside-Down Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2045.9
- Calories from Fat 828
- Total Fat 92.0 g
- Saturated Fat 38.1 g
- Cholesterol 477.9 mg
- Sodium 3036.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 114.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence
fresh thyme sprigs
fresh sage leaves