Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Southern Living; my father-in-law's favorite.
Top Review by mum@home
My only problem with the pie is that there was too much filling for the 9 inch, deep dish pie. It overflowed and created quite the mess. I am not impressed with "Tenderflake" pie crusts at the moment. I double-checked that they were deep dish 9" pie crusts. Warning to Canadians, who use Tenderflake deep dish 9" pre-made crusts, to divide this pie filling between two pie shells. DH is raving about the pie, and he hates pecan pie. Next time I would be tempted to 1/2 the chocolate chips and see if he notices. I felt like the chocolate overwhelmed the other flavours, and that is why I would reduce the amount next time. But, I give it 5 stars because DH loves it. Also, because it reminds me of living down south.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells
- Whisk together eggs and next 7 ingredients until mixture is smooth; stir in pecans and morsels.
- Pour into piecrust.
- Bake on lowest oven rack at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until set.