Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a really easy, yummy meal to make, it is a great one to do when you get in late from work and want a no fuss meal on the table in around 35-40 Min's. You can make this with just chicken if you prefer but I add in vegetables to make it a more complete meal for us.
- olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts, chopped into chunks
- 1 red pepper, sliced thunly (about 200g)
- 1 carrot, cut into sticks
- 0.55 lb broccoli florets
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (add to your personal taste.)
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice (just over a 1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Heat a little oil in a pan, cook chicken in batches, until browned all over, set chicken to one side.
- Heat a little more oil in the same pan, add pepper, garlic and ginger, cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring.
- Add red pepper flakes, juice, bourbon, water, soy, sugar, ketchup and vinegar, stir to combine, bring to the boil.
- Return chicken to pan with carrot and broccoli, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 Min's.
- Mix a little water with the cornflour, add to sauce and stir until mixture thickens.
- Serve over rive and sprinkle with green onions.
Very nice simple dish to put together and delicious. I did a mix of broccoli and cauliflower florets and a 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (but will up that next time) and In making this again the only change I would make would be to cut the brown sugar back to 1/4 cup as the bourbon (Southern Comfort) is quite sweet in itself. The DH did suggest throwing in some sliced pineapple in place of the sugar and asked to cut back on the capsicum (red pepper - I used a small green pepper which had red streaks through it) but overall he would be happy to have again - a keeper. Thank you once again for a delicious recipe The Flying Chef, made for Edition 8 - Make My Recipe.
What a wonderful recipe! I followed as per witten, except for I used ginger from a jar and added zucchini and spinach...only because I had these vegetables to use up! Ohh I also pre cooked the chicken in the oven. Great flavours and this recipe came together so easliy.... it was fantastic! Thanks Flying Chef for another wondrful recipe!