Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
heavy yellow buttermilk flecked with bits of golden butter left over from churning is great..buttermilk pie with a splash of bourbon stands on its own...though a unique cream pie..no one is quite sure what it is..but everyone eats it with unmitigated pleasure..
- bake the well pricked pie shell in a 400* oven for just 10 minutes.
- reduce the oven temperature to 350*.
- in a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- add the flour and beat again.
- with the beater running slowly, pour in the buttermilk.
- add the vanilla, bourbon and melted butter, blend well.
- pour the filling into the partially baked pie shell.
- and dust the surface with nutmeg.
- bake until the filling just sets, about 20 minutes.
- then turn off the oven and leave the pie in for 10 minutes.longer.
- remove the pie to a rack, it will continue to set as it cools.
- CUSTARD PIES SHOULD NOT BAKE TOO LONG OR THE CUSTARD WILL CURDLE.