For a deep flavor, use premium bourbon such as Maker’s Mark or Jack Daniel’s Black Label.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (plus additional for the pan)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature (plus additional for the pan)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Bourbon
- 1Position the rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat oven to 350°; butter and flour a 13x9 inch baking pan; set aside.
- 2In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- 3Place the chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water; stir constantly until half of the chocolate is melted.
- 4Remove the top of the double boiler; then continue stirring, away from the heat, until the chocolate is completely melted; let cool for 5 minutes.
- 5In a big bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar with a wooden spoon or electric mixer on medium speed; beat until smooth and light, about 9 minutes by hand or 5 minutes with a mixer.
- 6Beat in the eggs one at a time, allowing the first to be thoroughly incorporated before adding the second.
- 7Beat for 1 minute, then add the bourbon and melted chocolate, beating until the batter is smooth and pale.
- 8With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir in the flour mixture just until incorporated; do not beat.
- 9Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it gently to the corners.
- 10Bake for 25 minutes, or until a pick comes out clean; set pan on a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- 11Cut into 24 pieces while they are still in the pan.
- 12Carefully remove them with an offset spatula.
- 13Serve immediately or let cool completely before covering with plastic wrap for storage at room temperature.
- 14**You may substitute any of the following liqueurs for the bourbon: Amaretto, brandy, cognac, Calvados, Frangelico, gold rum, Kahlua, or spiced rum.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bourbon Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (47 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.1
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 37.9 mg
- Sodium 66.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 1.1 g