Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
For a deep flavor, use premium bourbon such as Maker’s Mark or Jack Daniel’s Black Label.
Make and share this Bourbon Brownies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (plus additional for the pan)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature (plus additional for the pan)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- Position the rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat oven to 350°; butter and flour a 13x9 inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Place the chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water; stir constantly until half of the chocolate is melted.
- Remove the top of the double boiler; then continue stirring, away from the heat, until the chocolate is completely melted; let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a big bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar with a wooden spoon or electric mixer on medium speed; beat until smooth and light, about 9 minutes by hand or 5 minutes with a mixer.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, allowing the first to be thoroughly incorporated before adding the second.
- Beat for 1 minute, then add the bourbon and melted chocolate, beating until the batter is smooth and pale.
- With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir in the flour mixture just until incorporated; do not beat.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it gently to the corners.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a pick comes out clean; set pan on a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut into 24 pieces while they are still in the pan.
- Carefully remove them with an offset spatula.
- Serve immediately or let cool completely before covering with plastic wrap for storage at room temperature.
- **You may substitute any of the following liqueurs for the bourbon: Amaretto, brandy, cognac, Calvados, Frangelico, gold rum, Kahlua, or spiced rum.