Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Gourmet Dinner Club Favorite Dessert
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 quart milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F Soak raisins in bourbon for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine milk with eggs, vanilla, sugar, almond extract, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Combine bread that has been torn into bite sized pieces with mixture. Saturate well.
- Melt butter in heavy rectangular baking dish. Add raisins that have been drained to mixture and pour into baking dish.
- After 45 minutes, check to see if center is firm. Cut into servings. Serve warm or hot with bourbon sauce.
- To make bourbon sauce, heat butter and sugar in a double boiler until sugar is dissolved, and mixture is very hot Remove from heat.
- Add egg and whisk very fast, so that egg does not scramble. Add bourbon. Let cook. Pour over servings of the bread pudding.