1/1 Photo of Bourbon Bacon Scallops
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
A marinade of bourbon and maple syrup gives these scallops a slightly sweet flavor that contrasts nicely with the smoky bacon. Serve them over rice with a side of snow peas and/or broccoli. Adapted from Cooking Light.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices bacon (4-5 ounces, long strips of bacon)
- 3 tablespoons minced scallions (green onions)
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground tricolor pepper
- 24 large sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- cooking spray
- 4 (12 inch) metal skewers or 4 (12 inch) water-soaked bamboo skewers
- 1Heat a skillet over high temperature and sauté the bacon for 4-5 minutes, until limp and partially browned; remove from skillet, drain, and set aside to cool.
- 2In a bowl, combine the green onions, bourbon, maple syrup, soy sauce, mustard, and pepper, and stir well; remove about 2 tablespoons of marinade to another container and set aside.
- 3Add the sea scallops to the marinade in the bowl and toss gently to coat.
- 4Cover and place in refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 5Preheat your oven broiler; pan spray a broiler pan.
- 6Cut the partially cooked bacon strips into 4 sections apiece.
- 7Remove the scallops from the marinade (reserve marinade) and wrap a piece of cut bacon around each scallop - if the scallops are very large, they might only reach halfway around.
- 8Thread the wrapped scallops onto the skewers (going through each end of bacon strips if they only reach halfway around), making sure to leave space between each scallop so that the bacon will cook well.
- 9Place the completed skewers on the pan-sprayed boiler pan and broil for 8 minutes or until the bacon is crisp and the scallops are opaque, occasionally basting with the marinade used with the scallops (how long they need to cook depends on the size of the scallops).
- 10Remove skewers from broiler, place them on a serving platter, and brush or drizzle with the reserved marinade (that which was not combined with the scallops in the refrigerator).
- 11Note: these can also be cooked on the grill if you watch them carefully so that the scallops do not overcook.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bourbon Bacon Scallops
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.4
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 723.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 19.7 g