Recipe by Poorogies
Classic lattice-topped apple pie. Serve with vanilla ice cream and La Lechera for a twist on the ala mode version.
Top Review by MN Grandma Joyce
Was looking where I put my similar recipe, saw this. I prep mine and quart jar them to the freezer, just to take out, fridge-thaw and use. I skip the flour and add tapioca when ready to pop into crust. I cook it on the stove, TILL IT SMELLS and TASTES good. Found a RUM apple pie I am going to try..I got purple grand champion on the Bourbon at the county fair. Added dried cranberry bits as I put it together as wee as the caramel droplets like chocolate chips. Name brand over less expensive brings the flavors together better. Have tried both.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 2 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 1 orange, zest of large orange
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel and core the apples. In a large bowl mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and apples. Toss to coat evenly.
- In a wok or large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add apple mixture. Cook until apples start to soften and brown slightly, about 7-10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add bourbon (you can use brandy instead). Simmer down to a light syrup, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add the orange zest.
- Put one pie crust into a 9" deep pie dish. Add filling. Slice the second pie crust into 1/2" strips. Lattice the top using the strips and using a basting brush coat lattice with egg wash (beaten egg plus 1 tablespoon of water). Sprinkle evenly with tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 50 more minutes. Keep a cookie sheet on the oven rack below to catch any spillage from the pie. Serve warm with ice cream and La Lechera Dulce de Leche.