Recipe by Judikins
A great autumn loaf I got from my stepdaughter that is chucked full of healthy, scrumptuous ingredients. Hope you enjoy as well!
Top Review by Audrey M
This is no where near a traditional recipe for meatloaf. It is packed full of flavor and looks great on your plate. I had no leftovers at all. My son ate four slices of this meatloaf and he isn't a big fan of meatloaf. I followed the directions completely except I didn't saute my onions in butter to cut some of the fat out. The only change I would make next time is double the meat because there are a lot of vegetables in this recipe. I will definately be making this again for my friends and family.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal or 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 3 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 6 chopped green olives
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl combine meats.
- Place 2 carrots in frying pan covered with water.
- Boil 10 minutes.
- Shred remaining carrot.
- Set aside.
- Saute onion in butter until browned.
- Combine egg, bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, salt, horseradish and basil.
- Lightly stir in shredded carrot, sauteed onion, tomato, green pepper, olives and parsley.
- Mix in ground meats.
- Put half the meat mixture into a 9x5" loaf pan.
- Place cooked whole carrots down center.
- Pat remaining meat evenly over carrots.
- Bake, uncovered 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Let stand a few minutes before slicing.