Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
A hearty, satisfying stew, made with colorful, autumn bounty. I love the bold taste of fall veggies!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breast halves, cut into bite sized pieces (about 3 boneless, skinless breast halves)
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, and diced into large bite sized pieces
- 2 leeks, white part only, sliced into thin rings, and soaked in water to remove sand
- 2 celery ribs, sliced into 1/8 inch pieces
- 4 small parsnips, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch coins
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch coins
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 8 pieces each
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored, and diced (any variety suitable for baking or cooking can be used. I used Honeycrisp)
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a 4 qt crock pot, stir well.
- Cover and Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are fork tender and chicken pieces are no longer pink.
- Gently stir halfway through cooking.
- Serve with fresh, crusty bread.
Surprisingly tasty, filling. We made it on the hob and it cooked very quickly and I don't think the taste was compromised.
Wonderful stew! I made it for a family gathering and it was loved by all... it was the perfect way to celebrate the beginning of Fall. It looked like it was getting dry half way through cooking so I did add quite a bit more broth, but I loved how it was so simple and yummy! I'm thinking of adding cauliflower next time... Thanks for posting, it's a keeper.
We really enjoyed this stew & it is perfect for autumn. I liked that the recipe included chicken and your instructions on the sizes to cut the vegetables was appreciated. The fall veggies all married well in this flavorful stew. I ended up thickening it at the end of the cooking time with 1 T cornstarch & 2T water and cooking on high about 15 minutes. I served with a garlic toast & a contest apple crisp for dessert. Lovely meal! Thank you for your entry in the Craze-E Crockpot Contest!