Recipe by An Dracon
As a diabetic, I find that Barley really keeps my blood sugar level. I came up with this recipe to use as a side dish to replace rice. This side dish works really well with beef. Try it with a grilled steak that has been marinated in olive oil, garlic and rosemary or the Ann Lander's Meatloaf recipe that's posted in Recipezaar.
- 2 large yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups medium pearl barley
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) can tomato juice
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the onion into a medium dice.
- Saute in a non-stick skillet with the butter until you start getting those browned edges.
- Pour the barley into the skillet and coat with the onion and butter mixture.
- Spray a medium size casserole with cooking spray.
- Transfer the barley to the casserole.
- Pour the chicken broth and tomato juice into the casserole.
- Do not place a lid on the casserole.
- Bake for 60 to 75 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff before serving.