1 hr 25 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is from a June 2001 food section article from the Houston Chronicle. The article featured blueberries and this recipe comes from The King's Orchard, site of the annual Texas Renaissance Festival in Plantersville, Texas. At the King's Orchard, you pick your own fresh fruit in season.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -1 1/4 cup light brown sugar, divided
- 15 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 -5 tablespoons ice water
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/8 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- vanilla ice cream (if you're in Texas, it HAS to be Blue Bell!)
- 1Grease and flour a 9 inch pie pan.
- 2In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, salt, and light brown sugar.
- 3Cut in 12 tablespoons butter; add ice water until consistency is crumbly.
- 4Shape dough into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- 5Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 6In a large bowl, combine blueberries,1/2 to 3/4 cup light brown sugar (depending on berries natural sweetness),zest, cloves, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, and ginger.
- 7Roll chilled dough to form a pie crust and place in prepared pan, trimming off edges as necessary.
- 8Pour blueberry mixture into crust, shaking pan gently to settle evenly.
- 9In a medium bowl, combine remaining flour, remaining cinnamon, dark brown sugar, and remaining butter until crumbly.
- 10Sprinkle evenly over pie filling.
- 11Bake about 45 minutes.
- 12* You may want to place aluminum foil under pie as berry pies have been known to overflow while baking!
- 13Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bounteous Blueberry Pie
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 688.2
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 76.3 mg
- Sodium 423.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 62.7 g
- Protein 7.8 g