Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This traditional recipe is from Senegal, on the western coast of Africa.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 slice white bread
- 1 lb cod, chopped (or other flaky whitefish fillets)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup prepared seafood cocktail sauce
- Combine water, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, salt, pepper, and eggs in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Add 2 tablespoons egg mixture, fish, parsley, and garlic; process until a thick dough forms. Shape dough into 16 (1-inch) balls.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge fish balls in flour and dip in remaining egg mixture. Add fish balls to pan; sauté 10 minutes or until browned on all sides, turning frequently.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and cocktail sauce. Serve with fish balls.