Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
AKA meatballs in white sauce. This is an old recipe, a variation of which was made in most Canadian homes. Every housewife had her own particular way of preparing this recipe. It was a dish that pleased the family and one that is recalled with fondness. Posted for Zaar World Tour II.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- salt & pepper
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup flour, approximately
- Mix meat and seasonings. Shape into 1 inch meatballs.
- Put enough water in saucepan that the meatballs will be covered. Bring to a boil.
- Add 1 meatball at a time so water does not stop boiling.
- Cook until liquid is reduced to about 1c - about 30 minutes.
- Whisk in flour to thicken and reseason to taste. Should you overthicken, just add more water to desired consistency.
- Serve over rice or noodles or by itself.
This recipe was terrific! I served it over Orzo pasta, and poured the extra sauce over top. The only thing I would do differently, is make more sauce! We really enjoyed this, and my 7 year old gave it two thumbs up, which is really saying something! Thanks for posting!!
We really enjoyed this recipe Elmotoo, thanks so much for sharing. Made exactly as written, using venison burger instead of beef. It was quick and easy to make. Loved the addition of the cloves in the dish. I thought the amount of spice was spot on. Served ontop of rice for a lovely comforting meal. Made for Aussie swap.
My hubby enjoyed it much more than I did probably because his mother used to make this regularly for her family of 13. Should I try this again I would definitely cut down on the spices. Made for the Aussie/NZ RS#35.