Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Best of the Best from America Cookbook by Gwen McKee & Barbara Moseley, c. 2005.
Make and share this Boulder Black Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until tender (about 5 minutes). Stir in oregano, thyme, cumin, and pepper; cook one minute longer. Place half of beans in a blender and puree until smooth, adding chicken broth as needed to make a smooth puree. Add puree and remaning whole beans and broth to saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes. Serve garnished with diced tomatoes, and if desired, onion and shredded cheese.
Wonderfully simple to prepare and oh, so tasty! Black bean soup is a favorite and this recipe hits the spot! I prepared as directed, changing nothing. I served with chopped tomatoes, sliced green onion and a sprinkling of a Mexican Blend Cheese. Thank you, NELady! UPDATED: I sometimes combine 2 cups of shredded roast pork to the soup which makes a fantastic addition.
very good and easy to prepare a keeper in my house.Thanks for posting.
I love black bean soup and this version was no exception. I served it with chopped tomatoes and grated cheese. Made for 1.2.3 HIT WONDERS tag.