Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This comes from the Tesco magazine. I have tried versions of this recipe, but not this particular one yet.
- 1⁄2 kg potato, finely sliced
- 3 onions, finely sliced
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 450 ml vegetable stock
- 25 g butter, finely diced
- Heat the oven to Gas 4, 180°C, 350°F
- Slice the potatoes thinly with a mandolin for best results. Place sliced potatoes in cold water, rinse and cover again with water, drain. Turn out onto a thick tea towel and gently pat away any excess moisture. This is important to remove the excess starch from the potatoes and it makes the boulangère even more enjoyable.
- Butter a shallow oven-proof serving dish. Place a layer of potatoes over the base, top with a layer of onions and season with salt and pepper. Repeat, until all the vegetables are used. Finish with a neat layer of overlapping potatoes on top. Press down firmly with the flats of your hands.
- Pour in hot stock and dot diced butter over the top. Place in the oven and cook for 1 hour, then reduce heat to Gas 3, 160°C, 325°F, and cook for 40 minutes more. The potatoes should be golden on top and soft all the way through. Test by inserting a knife.
Made for PAC Spring 08 Very simple and tasty! I'll try to get a pic next time I make it.