Recipe by sofie-a-toast
Boulanee is a vegan flat-bread from Afghanistan baked or fried with a vegetable filling. It is usually served as an appetizer, side-dish, or main dish.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow! What a sensational recipe. So easy to make and so delicious. I used the food processor the the potato mixture and the cilantro (coriander in Australia) sauce. I used the full amount of turmeric. I wish I could give this 100 stars. It's certainly worthy of them. Thanks very much for posting.
- 2 -3 russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2⁄3 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped (the whole thing)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- egg roll wrap
- canola oil
- 1 bunch cilantro, bottom of stems discarded
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, sliced (seeds removed if you like it less spicy)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 -2 tablespoon water (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the potatoes, peel, chop into large pieces and boil for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the water and mash the potatoes thoroughly.
- Mix in all spices, green onions and cilantro.
- To wrap the egg rolls, place the egg roll skin on working surface. Place a portion of the potato filling in the middle of the egg roll skin. Dip a finger in water and lighly edges of egg roll skin. Fold egg roll in half to form triangle and seal edges. Potato filling should be approximately 1/2 inch thick inside egg roll skin. (Variations can be made by cutting egg roll skins into different shapes and sizes.).
- Heat a small amount (approximately 1 tablespoon) of canola oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Sauté boulanee 4-5 minutes until lighly browned. Add more oil to pan as necessay.
- For the Cilantro Sauce: put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until a sauce.
- For yogurt sauce: Stir all ingredients together, add water if you would like a thinner consistency.
- To serve: Drizzle both sauces over boulanee and enjoy!