Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Boulanee is a vegan flat-bread from Afghanistan baked or fried with a vegetable filling. It is usually served as an appetizer, side-dish, or main dish.
- 2 -3 russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2⁄3 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped (the whole thing)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- egg roll wrap
- canola oil
- 1 bunch cilantro, bottom of stems discarded
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, sliced (seeds removed if you like it less spicy)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 -2 tablespoon water (optional)
- Wash the potatoes, peel, chop into large pieces and boil for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the water and mash the potatoes thoroughly.
- Mix in all spices, green onions and cilantro.
- To wrap the egg rolls, place the egg roll skin on working surface. Place a portion of the potato filling in the middle of the egg roll skin. Dip a finger in water and lighly edges of egg roll skin. Fold egg roll in half to form triangle and seal edges. Potato filling should be approximately 1/2 inch thick inside egg roll skin. (Variations can be made by cutting egg roll skins into different shapes and sizes.).
- Heat a small amount (approximately 1 tablespoon) of canola oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Sauté boulanee 4-5 minutes until lighly browned. Add more oil to pan as necessay.
- For the Cilantro Sauce: put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until a sauce.
- For yogurt sauce: Stir all ingredients together, add water if you would like a thinner consistency.
- To serve: Drizzle both sauces over boulanee and enjoy!
Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow! What a sensational recipe. So easy to make and so delicious. I used the food processor the the potato mixture and the cilantro (coriander in Australia) sauce. I used the full amount of turmeric. I wish I could give this 100 stars. It's certainly worthy of them. Thanks very much for posting.
Soooo good! I cut the eggroll wrappers in quarters and then used my pot sticker press to seal them. We loved these as is and the sauces gave them areal kick. Thanks for sharing this delicious keeper recipe.
Incredible. If using only two potatoes, you might want to put just a little less tumeric in it to avoid bitterness. I made my filling only about 1/4-inch thick so the bitterness would be tempered by the surrounding dough and sauces. The sauces are what make this dish; delicious. Add a little spoonful of harissa to the side, and you're in food heaven.