Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from The Book of New Israeli Food, via jannagur.com.
Make and share this Bouikos Con Kashkaval (Sephardic Cheese Buns) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 9 ounces soft cheese, such as gvina levana (ricotta may be substituted)
- 7 ounces hard cheese such as kashkaval, grated (Parmesan may be substituted)
- 5 ounces brinza cheese, crumbled (feta may be substituted)
- 1 egg
- 7 ounces melted butter
- 2 ounces hard cheese, grated, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Combine flour, gvina levana cheese, kashkaval cheese, brinza cheese, egg, and butter.
- Mix well to form a soft dough. Add a little more flour if it's too wet to shape.
- Divide dough into 30 small balls, about the size of apricots.
- Dip the top of each ball into the grated topping cheese.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.