Recipe by Sher Shields
This is my MIL's homemade bottled salsa - my husband won't eat anything but this recipe, and my daughter regularly drank it from her salsa bowl when she was 3! It takes a bit of work to get the tomato skins blanched, peeled, and chopped - but the salsa is so worth it!!
- 32 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 16 jalapeno peppers, blended with seeds
- 16 medium yellow onions, blended
- 2 2⁄3 cups heinz white distilled vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons uniodized salt
- 3 tablespoons lawry's garlic salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch and peel tomatoes, then chop in blender to desired consistency (no chunks in our house). Add to large pot.
- Wash and cut off tops of jalapeno peppers and blend, then add to pot.
- Peel, cut, and chop onions in blender. (My Bosch blender holds 6 cups so I add one cup of tomatoes to 5 cups of of onions to help blend all the onions. Doing it this way ends up adding 17 cups of blended onions.).
- Pour the vinegar into the blender to get all jalapeno and onion out and then add to pot.
- Add sugar and salts.
- Bring to a boil on medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours without a lid. (The longer you cook, the thicker the salsa will be.).
- Bottle and seal. Cold pack 30 minute.