Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
its had as a side dish in my part of the world...it also can be used as dip
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped bottlegourd, skinned
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds or 1 teaspoon mustard paste
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coconut, grated or 1⁄2 cup coconut paste or 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup curds (preferrably not sour)
- 3 curry leaves
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Boil the bottleguards in water till they are tender.
- If using mustard seeds then wet them and crush them in a mortar add to the coconut and grind into fine paste.
- add this to the cooked bottleguards, stir well and mix them nicely crushing everything together for a time or two.
- Take off the fire and let it cool.
- When cold mix in the curd.
- heta oil in a small wok, crackle the curry leaves and the chillies and pour over the curd mix-- This can also be dione with beetroots-- the result is more colourful than this one-- it would give you a pink dip!